Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cupcakes!

Sadly, not the edible kind, but the awesome fabric kind to make a sweet apron!  This already makes me feel happy and productive for just hanging around or crafting, plus the pockets are nice to put my iPod in while sewing in my new skirts.  Like this one yard ruffle skirt!  Bit higher than I normally like, but it still works pretty well.


Also, I have been cooking a fair deal lately, part of the housewife/mommy package, and while it is usually pretty standard fare, for us at least, a few months back I tried the awesome Tomato with 2 Fennels soup from Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade LifeHere is an adapted recipe, since I feel odd posting my adapted recipe, copyright and all.  Plus, I'm lazy.  Super tasty, and the goat cheese is a must!

Another thing I've been doing is making my own coarse grain beer mustard, from this awesome book.  Super easy and way cheaper than storebought.  Plus, I can use my hubby's yummy homebrewed ESB beer for it.  Haven't tried many recipes so far from here, but the cuban black bean and plantain bake is great (especially with fresh mango), and I am a total convert of buying dried beans, cooking them in big batches, then freezing for use, as opposed to buying canned.  I can control how done they are, how much salt, and again, way, way cheaper.  I mean, a pound of dried beans usually costs the same price as one can of cooked!

Other news, trying my hand at growing some basic herbs, which are going pretty well, except puppy really wants to nibble on my chives, so those are currently on the counter to avoid "overharvesting".  And poor Oz has a nasty head cold, which makes for a very cuddly, but tired baby.  And now, a baby pic, of him with his Uncle Will!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

terrific post! Thanks Becky.

mamaTAVE said...

How funny that your puppy likes chives! My overharvesters are snails...
Just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog on Giveaway Day. Thanks!